LEED offers several certification programs, some of which are currently being piloted or developed.
With the exception of LEED-Neighborhood Development, each of the LEED certification programs offers points to be gained in six broad categories:
- Sustainable site planning
- Safeguarding water and water efficiency
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Conservation of materials and resources
- Indoor environmental quality
- Innovation and design process
The single-family home category (LEED for Homes) — which launched in January 2008 — also includes points for location and linkages, such as building within one-half mile of public transportation and other community services, as well as homeowner education and awareness.
Based on the number of points earned, LEED provides four progressive levels of certification: Certified, Silver, Gold and Platinum.